What better than clothes and accessories that can transition between Indian and Western wear? I have seen a lot of Indian designers moving away from traditional blouses to versatile jackets / kurtis etc that can be worn either with a lehenga or your favorite pair of jeans or skirt.
A few things to keep in mind when shopping or getting these pieces tailored are:
- Stick with the basic colors – black, blues, whites, gold etc.
- Though most of the Indian tops (blouses) have heavy embroidery, the versatility of these jackets is in keeping them simple.
- Structured collars and/or shoulders are important. Pay special attention to them.
- The most common fabrics for these types of jackets are brocade, silk or raw silk. I personally like linen as well.
- Combine these with dark jeans or pencil skirt, shorts or little black dress and enjoy all the attention that you get ☺
P.S: This last one is my favorite and I hope to get something similar stitched on my next trip to India.