Reader's Request - Trends in Indian Wear

One of my most adorable reader, Shai of Bows, Hearts & Everything Cute asked me for some tips on the latest trends in Indian suits. You can check out her blog here.
There have been some very versatile designs of suits that I have seen around lately. Though the basics remain mostly the same, the craftsmanship differs across different styles, cuts and details.

Color: Orange / Red Orange/ Coral – whatever you want to call it – is the hottest color of the season. Period. If you don’t have anything of this color in your closet yet, it is time to buy one☺. Some other hot colors are pastels, deep greens and blues or the color blocking (as on Sonam Kapoor). Almost half your job is done if you get the right color.


Style: From what I see, the ultra long anarkalis (those that touch the ground) are out. The suits or kurtas that are more in style right now are slightly shorter in length and hit at your ankle.

You can also change the regular A lines or kali style by wearing a brocade jacket on top of your suit. I see these jackets everywhere – on suits, sarees and lehengas. And, once you have the jacket, you hardly need a dupatta with the suit.

The bottoms vary from churidars, Patialas or straight –cropped trousers. The most in thing seems to be long sleeves, but they would depend a lot of the overall design of the outfit.


Fabrics: Winters are best for silk, raw silk and brocades. Crepes and chiffons with heavy embroidery also do well.

A few other tips:
- Pay attention to your dupatta. I personally like the stole style dupattas. Add variety by using contrasting borders around the dupatta.
- Deep back and broad front necklines work really WELL with long sleeves.
- If you want to add a brocade/ raw silk jacket, keep the inner suit simple (sans any heavy embellishments) and let the jacket take the center stage.



Hope you all find this helpful

23 comments:

Rahul Bhatia said...

Absolutely adorable and elegant outfits! Very nice post

sulagna said...

uumm..i think i kinda know what m gonna do with my yelllow brocade and fuschia set :)

Anonymous said...

omg the outfits are alllll so gorgeous!

Gayatri said...

I'm a fan of anything bright & colorful! So I'd love to own what Sonam is wearing. But yes, red will always be my fav and I'm glad it's back this season!!

Gayatri

Anupriya DG said...

Nice tips...thanks for sharing! :)

pavani reddy said...

orange is soo in!!!

Leia said...

I love this post! I find it really hard to buy desi clothing and I'm never sure if what I'm wearing is dated or trendy!

Leia

Suruchi said...

these all are such awesome styles...wish u had a body to carry off half of them-although the polka dot one and the brocade jacket has given me some interesting ideas:-)

RiĆ  said...

I have always loved orange as a color. :)

Sonal Jamuar said...

Colorful.......:)
Bright Colors + anarkali style indeed are in these days....Infact one of my all time fav shop in Bandra "Mela" had got so much of these similar collections,inline with commencment of winters and Wedding season in India :)
btw Superbly Brilliant post :) Loved it

Sayantani Saha said...

Thank you so much Sovina! Love the Twinkle Khanna's one and the jacket ones!

Gorgeous Glam said...

I love that first pic on the left! I wish there were more editorials like that, well I can never seem to find them! gorg! xx

Isabel said...

i wish i could wear orange. but i cant.

Pratishtha Durga said...

Elegant outfits! And thanks for all the lovely tips. I am a huge fan on Indian ethnic wear. Love your words on how to wear these styles well.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Rizwan Ali said...

This article is helping and value able and the stuff has been posted is spot on i would like to see more new stuff.
Scratch Card printing
plastic cards
membership card printing

ON THE TOP said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

Thanks for share,
* DARK HEART 2011 *

Unknown said...

I love Indian outfits, so elegant. The orange shades are so striking

Sharmada Nagarajan said...

beautiful colors....how r u...
i've missed a lot of ur wonderful posts
hav fun
cheers
vivs:-)

pavani reddy said...

hey sovina..hw u been...hope everything is gr8 wit u...missing ur posts dear...

My Unfinished Life said...

nice tips..though anarkalis are grt to hide baby bumps (ash would agree)!!!

http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

hi just registered ,, tina

pavani reddy said...

Wish u a very happy new year sovina...i wish u all the happiness and strength....love u

Manmeet Sachdev said...

very nice post :)